In 1876, Thomas Alva Edison opened a new laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Out of the laboratory came arguably the most famous invention of all-a practical incandescent electric lamp. By 1890, Edison had organized his various businesses into the “Edison General Electric Company.”
General Electric 40W light bulb.
“Charles Proteus Steinmetz, already a distinguished industrial scientist, was hard at work as GE’s chief consulting engineer. After years of persuasion, Steinmetz convinced the GE leadership that the company would need a research laboratory to maintain its edge in lighting and electricity and also finding new areas to grow.” – Heritage of Research