The ICL8038 waveform generator is a monolithic integrated circuit capable of producing high accuracy sine, square, triangular, sawtooth and pulse waveforms with a minimum of external components.
The frequency (or repetition rate) can be selected externally from 0.001Hz to more than 300kHz using either resistors or capacitors, and frequency modulation and sweeping can be accomplished with an external voltage…. The chip is available in some stores, not in production. (This is another chip of intersil i used for many things – delabs)
- Low Frequency Drift with Temperature 250ppm/oC
- Low Distortion 1%(SineWave Output)
- High Linearity 0.1%(Triangle Wave Output)
- Wide Frequency Range 0.001Hz to 300kHz
- Variable Duty Cycle 2%to 98%
- High Level Outputs TTL to 28V
- Simultaneous Sine, Square, and Triangle Wave Outputs
- Easy to Use – Just a Handful of External Components Required
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the ICL8038
Use in Phase Locked Loops – Its high frequency stability makes the ICL8038 an ideal building block for a phase locked loop as shown in Figure 9. In this application the remaining functional blocks, the phase detector and the amplifier, can be formed by a number of available ICs (e.g., MC4344, NE562).
The linearity of input sweep voltage versus output frequency can be significantly improved by using an op amp as shown in Figure 10.